12.10.2010

give and give back

by erin

Well, hello!
Once again, I'm going to ask you to forgive my long absence.

My sweet grandmother passed away a few days before Thanksgiving, and while her death was not entirely unexpected, it was, of course, still hard. We already had a trip to Texas planned and booked, so we spent Thanksgiving enjoying the warm weather and eating way too much queso, and when we got home after the holiday, we hopped right in our cars and drove up to North Dakota to say goodbye. Although it was for a sad reason, I was glad to be able to spend a few extra days with my sisters, and to see my extended family who I don't see nearly often enough.

My grandma was the epitome of a tough North Dakota woman. She was sassy, blunt, and could be pretty offensive, but I loved her for all of those reasons. She always called it like she saw it, but she did it out of love. She had an amazing life (check out her obituary here) and I only wish that I had spent more time listening to her tell me about it. It was hard to say goodbye to her, but I'm happy that she has moved on from the last few difficult years of her life. Her funeral was 11 years after my grandpa's, to the day, so I like to think that they are together, golfing and playing cribbage and bickering again.

Okay. Now back to our regularly scheduled pretty things!

As I've made pretty obvious throughout my blog, I am passionate about the protection, humane treatment and rights of animals. Yet I know how hard it can be to get active for a cause, especially when you lack extra time (me) and money (definitely me) with which to do it.

But wait: you're going to buy holiday gifts, right? Why not buy a gift that will give back?

Like this t-shirt, sold by Ellen DeGeneres, from which all proceeds will go to the Humane Society of the United States.


The shirt features an outlined puppy, with the words laugh dance rescue sprinkled throughout. A cute casual tee for your favorite animal lover!


Or how about the Secondhand Hounds calendar, with photos shot by the amazing Sarah Beth Photography? Calendars are only $15 and are well worth the money, since all proceeds go to Secondhand Hounds.

How could seeing these adorable pups every day NOT improve your life?


Or how about any of the thousands of items available at the Animal Rescue Site?
Like this travel mug (can never have too many of these!)...

or these measuring spoons...

or these cozy sweater boots!

I hope you are all having a happy holiday season so far! Christmas is my favorite time of year, so you have not seen the last of the holiday-related posts from me. Get excited!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Love these ideas! I'm adding them to my own list. The Ellen T-shirt is the best!

Ariane said...

I am so sorry for your loss, Erin.

Thank you for displaying gifts that help animals. I am also a vegetarian and general animal enthusiast. :)

Meri said...

Oh, I practically live in sweater boots like that when I'm at home. Love them- great ideas!

Cheers!
Meri

Post a Comment