5.19.2010

Stamps to the Rescue

by erin

Welcome to my monthly "here's how you can help animals" post!  
I realize that I neglected to write such a post in April (what can I say, April was obnoxious), so here is #1 of the two I'm going to get in this month.

I always like a celebrity more when I learn they are animal lovers, and even more so when they use their platform to actually help animals in need.  For example, I generally think Rachael Ray is one of the most obnoxious people to ever live.  But she advocates for rescuing animals and gives money to shelters, and that makes her bearable (as does my lack of cable and the fact that often her show is legitimately the best thing on tv during the day).  On the other hand, I loved Ellen DeGeneres long before I learned that she was an animal activist, so her latest effort on behalf of rescue animals only made me a bigger fan.
Ellen has partnered with the U.S. Postal Service to create stamps bearing the faces of darling shelter animals (all of whom were subsequently adopted!) to raise awareness of the fact that 4 million animals are euthanized every year simply because shelters don't have the space or funds for them.  It is a heartbreaking situation, and as a rescue puppy and shelter kitty mama, one that hits close to home.

You mail things, right?  If so, consider buying a few stamps.  Ellen has agreed to donate one million bowls of food to shelters across the country, which will be a wonderful gift.  But the stamps need to sell for the food to be donated! 
To buy stamps, click here.
And if you're considering a furry addition to your family, click here for some information on pet adoption.  Don't shop, adopt!

2 comments:

melissa oholendt said...

That lab with his head cocked to the side has my heart.

JBF said...

very cool. thanks for the tip!

Post a Comment