As today is December 1 (side note: seriously, December? where did November go? for that matter, where did 2009 go?) and the holiday season is fast approaching, I've been feeling the need to give something back.  For all of my complaining about school and life in general, I am pretty blessed, and I want to help those that are less fortunate than me.  That being said, I don't have a lot of extra time or cash to donate.  So when I saw this post on one of my favorite fancy blogs, I knew I had to participate.  And so here we are: Cans for Comments!


(photo from mdphotography.org)


The premise is simple: for every comment I receive on my blog between now and December 15, I will donate one can of food to a local food shelf.  I'll also donate an additional can for every subscriber, current or new (let me know in the comments if you currently subscribe).  The comments don't have to be on only this post - they can be on any of my posts, past or future.  Just keep 'em coming!

I'll post a picture of my donation when all is said and done.  I'm so excited for this chance to help end hunger in my community, and I urge my fellow bloggers to do the same!

p.s.: Want another way to donate to charity while spending zero extra time and money?  Replace Google with GoodSearch.  Every search gives a charity of your choice (mine is Homeward Bound - where we got our pup) about one cent.  That doesn't sound like much, but it adds up fast!  Also, if you're doing some online shopping this holiday season, shop through GoodShop and up to 30% of your purchase goes to your charity.  Now there's a win-win situation :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea.

When I was a kid, I thought Campell's chicken noodle soup was the best thing ever (the skinny noodle one...I never liked the chunky one). I would, for some strange reason, drink all the soup and then eat all the noodles at the end.

I was a weird kid.

But other kids need a chance to be weird too.

Amanda said...

I love this idea. Love it. Props to you. And I of course subscribe through Google Reader :) Food pantries have a special place in my heart and I just might have to do this on my blog too!

Jessica F. said...

So many local bloggers are doing this! So exciting. We should get together with our cans for a photo for our blogs when we're both done. Way to go fancy lady!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Awesome! Maybe I should start this too. I've been wanting to instill a little bit of philanthropy into my life and my oldest son's. This is a great idea.

Unknown said...

Woot. Thanks for the comment, and here is one right back at you!

:)

Sarah said...

I didn't know you had a blog! Nice to add it to my reader.

I'll be doing cans for comments next week, I think.

Emily Cumings said...

I didn't realize you were a blogger...nerd. I still love you though...you are a great person doing a great thing. I want to subscribe to your blog! I will only post sarcastic or snotty comments some times ;)

Love you! Em

Patty said...

I love this! I'm so proud of this endeavor! And you inspired me. I sent an email to our bible study group (meeting tonight) and suggested that we all bring food items to our gathering to be donated to our local food shelf. We're a small group but every little bit helps. We have all been blessed and if we can provide even one meal for a needy family, we can pass those blessings along! Love you! mom

Amber Hughes said...

Yay! Add a can for me! :)

Anonymous said...

Great idea

Post a Comment