3.08.2011

vegan banana bread

by erin

Although I have a shelf that is literally overflowing with fantastic cookbooks, I am ashamed to say that I rarely crack most of them. 
 sad, lonely cookbooks

In general, my cooking or baking method is as follows:
1. Look around my kitchen and find an ingredient that I want to use
2. Google
3. Cook

So when I saw three sad little brown bananas in my fruit bowl, I knew that banana bread was in my future. I even managed to make it vegan. Score one for me.

Vegan Banana Bread
adapted from the Post Punk Kitchen

2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground flaxseed

Mix flour, salt, flaxseed and spices together.


1/2 c. fake butter, softened
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar 
(I used between 1/3 and 1/2 c. of each sugar, and that was plenty for me)
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 c. soy or almond milk, mixed with 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar

Cream butter and sugars with an electric mixer. Add bananas, milk & vanilla, mix until well combined.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Pour batter into well-greased bread pan, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, and bake at 350 degrees for approximately one hour.

deeeelicious!

I recommend keeping naughty fat cats away from freshly baked banana bread. although we're pretty used to pet hair in our food around here.

2 comments:

Ariane said...

HAHAHA. Your cat is cracking me up.

I absolutely love banana bread, and I think it's awesome that you made vegan bread! Love it.

melissa oholendt said...

My mom used to make a zucchini bread that rocked my world. I miss bread. In general.

Post a Comment