12.21.2010

all is calm, all is bright

by erin

As previously mentioned, I really love Christmas. Although I adore the lights, the time with family, and giving and receiving gifts, my favorite part of this wonderful time of year is the music. As a former choir nerd, I have always associated the Christmas season with holiday concerts, caroling, and the alto line of "Joy to the World", which will be ingrained in my memory forever. I won't lie, 99% of the reason that I go to church on Christmas Eve is to sing "Silent Night" by candlelight (sorry Mom).

Because I love Christmas music so much, I usually can't don't wait until December to start listening to it. When the weather turns cold and/or it snows, it just feels like Christmas to me, and my extensive itunes Christmas playlist comes out of hibernation. 
I thought I would share with you a few of my favorite Christmas songs!

"Stille Nacht" by Mannheim Steamroller
My all-time favorite Christmas song. This one brings me to tears literally every time I hear it.
Did I mention that I've seen Mannheim in concert three times? Because, yes, I have. I'm cool like that.

"At Christmas" by Hanson
Fact: Hanson's Christmas album is one of the greatest holiday albums ever. It came out while I was legit obsessed with Hanson (okay, I still am, but back in '97 I literally would have sold my little sister to meet them) so I might be biased, but the cd is full of sweet sappy songs like this one, mixed with fun old-timey (technical term) holiday tunes.

"All I Want for Christmas is You" by Mariah Carey
I mean, come on. This one's a classic.
If you haven't seen the video, I highly recommend it, if for no other reason than to compare that Mariah with the Mariah of today. Night and day!

"Last Christmas" by Jimmy Eat World
I know that many people seriously hate this song, but this version of it is pretty awesome. It was on our store cd during one of my holidays at Victoria's Secret, and it kept me off the ledge more than once. So, Jimmy Eat World, I guess I owe you.


"Merry Christmas Darling" by The Carpenters
When I was younger, my mom played a Carpenters Christmas album all season long, so this song always takes me back. And there is no beating Karen Carpenter's gorgeous voice.


"Things We Don't Need Anymore" by Jenny Owen Youngs
Kind of a depressing Christmas song if you listen to the lyrics, but I think it is pretty sweet.


"God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" by Barenaked Ladies and Sarah McLachlan
A Canadian supergroup version of one of my favorite tunes.

Obviously, I have many many more favorite Christmas songs, but that is probably enough...until next year!

what is your favorite holiday song?

3 comments:

Ariane said...

My absolute favorite is Bing Crosby's "Baby, It's Cold Outside". I think it is so sweet!

lightning said...

Otis Redding's version of "White Christmas"

Emily Cumings said...

You left out the greatest Christmas album ever...N'SYNC's Christmas album. Seriously Erin, how could you???

Post a Comment