11.03.2010

yes.we.can.

by erin

Well, here we are.
I try to stay away from politics on this blog, but I felt compelled to write something this morning. Without getting too political, let's just say that things didn't exactly go my way last night. All night and so far this morning, I've been on twitter and reading blogs and articles, and everywhere I look is depressed pessimism, anger, and frustration. So I was depressed and frustrated for awhile too.

And then I decided not to be.

Because this is not the end of the world, you know? There are a lot of new people coming into power, and I refuse to be anything but optimistic that they are going to work to make our struggling country better. What I really hope, and what I think everyone wants, is for politicians to stop bickering, learn to compromise, and work together. Because, really, that is the only way anything will ever change. Maybe I'm naive, idealistic, or overly optimistic. But I'm really fine with that.

As for me, I'm going to take this moment to look at my life and my community and do my part make those things better. I'm going to vote with my dollar by buying organic, local food; I'm going to volunteer with Big Brothers Big Sisters and make a difference to at least one young person in my community; I'm going to continue to advocate for justice and equality and to fight for the protection of animals. I think the success or failure of our country comes down to us and what we are willing to do to make it better, and now is a time for less talk and more action.

I do want to discuss a few things from yesterday's election:
  • Minnesotans reelected Michele Bachmann. Yep. I've got nothing. Enjoy, 6th District.
  • In a really shocking upset, incumbent U.S. Representative Jim Oberstar was defeated by the narrowest of margins. Rep. Oberstar was a champion of bicycling throughout Minnesota and is responsible for many of the wonderful bike trails in and around Northern MN. His loss is a sad one.
  • On a much happier note, Missouri's Prop B PASSED!! From the Humane Society: Missouri is the number one puppy mill state in America. We now have a pathway to turn this terrible situation around. HOORAY, Missouri!
  • On a similar note, Arizona's Prop 109 was defeated. Again, the Humane Society said it better than I can: We protected our right to advance animal protection initiatives and turned back this terrible effort by the NRA.
With that, I'm done talking politics until 2012. I'll leave you with this, which I watched this morning for the first time since 2008. I recommend you do the same.
 

What are YOU going to do to make your world better?

1 comments:

Ariane said...

Your attitude is so inspiring! I wish we would all realize that we can make a difference by doing things like "voting with our dollars" and volunteering. Wow, you have really made me think this morning!

Post a Comment