9.08.2010

Vegan Zucchini Bread

by erin

I've been a vegetarian for a few years now, and although I am highly passionate about animal rights (my main motivation for going veggie), I never considered going vegan.  Let's be honest: cheese is just too delicious.  But lately I've been eating less dairy, and I've been noticing some very good results, namely less stomach trouble and better skin.  So aside from a little cheese every day now and again, I'm progressively more dairy-free...

...except when I bake.  
It's proven difficult to find good dairy-free recipes, and I'm not a skilled enough baker to know how and what to substitute for eggs and butter.  So when I found this recipe for vegan zucchini bread, I couldn't wait to give it a try.  And it didn't disappoint.

Vegan Zucchini Bread
(adapted from allrecipes)

3 c. unbleached flour
3 tbsp. ground flaxseed meal
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. unsweetened applesauce
1 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. shredded zucchini


Mix flour, flaxseed meal, salt, soda, powder, and cinnamon until evenly blended.

 
In a separate bowl, mix applesauce, both sugars, oil and vanilla extract until smooth.

Fold the dry mixture and shredded zucchini into the applesauce mixture until just moistened.  Pour the batter into two greased 9x5 pans.


Bake in 325 degree oven for 70 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool in pans for at least 10 minutes, and then cool on a wire rack.


eat and enjoy!
and trust me - you won't miss the dairy. at all.

1 comments:

Kelley said...

yum - thanks for posting. i have the same issue with cheese. um, and steak.

Post a Comment