3.14.2011

cash for comments

by erin

As the weekend progressed, the bad news about the terrible disaster in Japan kept coming. Aftershocks continued, nuclear reactors exploded, and the death toll rose (which it will likely continue to do). It is a heartbreaking tragedy, to say the least, and it has left many of us wondering what we can do to help.

While the first rescue and relief efforts are very rightly aimed at the human victims of this and any disaster, there are many other victims that we can't, and shouldn't, forget about. There are no doubt thousands of pets and farm animals who lost their lives or who are trapped in the rubble from the earthquake and tsunami, and unlike humans, they are usually unable to cry for help, to save themselves, or to find a way to survive.


Not long ago, I watched a documentary called Mine. Set in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the film followed the incredible rescue efforts of animal groups as they sought out the animals left behind when their humans were forced to evacuate, and the complex legal issues that arose if/when owners came back for their pets. I can't remember the last time I cried so hard at a movie. One of the most heartbreaking sentences I have ever heard in my life was said by one of the rescue workers in the film: "We can find the dogs because we can hear them barking. We can't hear the cats."

As someone who loves her animals like children, this simply breaks my heart. I can't begin to grasp the anguish felt by these animal owners as they were forced to leave their pets behind in the rising waters. If something like Katrina or Japan ever happened in my town, I can only hope that these amazingly dedicated rescue workers would be there to take care of my precious animals.

So I decided that in lieu of donating to the Red Cross (which I encourage and applaud), I'm going to send a donation to the American Humane Association's Red Star Animal Emergency Services. This group coordinates relief efforts on the ground in Japan or other disaster stricken areas, and they are in need of funding to do so.

And you can help: 
for every comment on my blog between now and this Friday at 5:00 pm, I will donate $1 to the animal rescue efforts in Japan.  
Depending on how many comments I receive, I may double it. Any comments count, on any posts, new or old. So get to commenting, and tell your friends!

Thank you, in advance, for your support of the animals.

17 comments:

Ariane said...

This breaks my heart. Animal life is very precious, too.

(sorry if this comment comes through more than once; I'm having trouble commenting via iPhone)

Sarah Schmidt said...

Thank you for doing such a wonderful thing to help the poor little guys.

Jamie said...

Thank you for doing this! We always forget about animals during these sorts of disasters. What a great thing you are doing.

JBF said...

i watched "Mine" on PBS awhile back. I think I cried for the pretty much the entire movie. I'm pretty sure I'd be one of those people kicking and screaming as they drug me away from my animals.

Emily Cumings said...

I love that I am friends with great people! Good for you!

Alison said...

You are sincerely my hero. The things you do for others continues to amaze me! I am so blessed to have such a wonderful sister that always puts those in need ahead of herself. You are such a beautiful person, both inside and out! I love you with all of my heart! :)

Katie S said...

Good for you, Erin! It's tough for one single person to feel like they can contribute in a good way, but your effort is certainly inspirational!

PinkLouLou said...

You are fabulous. I feel the same way. I saw a pic of a panda clinging to a policeman's legs, so scared and it just made me cry. Thanks for doing this!!

melissa oholendt said...

You're amazing and you've inspired me. I'm going to do this too. LOVE TO YOU E!

Kori M. said...

You're amazing! <3

Anonymous said...

Thank you for remembering the animals! I too regard my pets as my children and it breaks my heart when they are forgotten!!

Nicolle said...

Over from Ari and Lisa's blogs. Thank you for doing such a kind thing! This will also encourage others to give. The precious animals are often neglected, but they have so many needs! My heart breaks for Japan right now. Thank you again! :)

WombatsMama said...

Erin, thank you for your creative generosity!

Rob Guthrie said...

Erin, what a wonderful commitment. Our pets are our family, and they need advocates, too!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! lest we forget the most vulnerable among us

Anonymous said...

You are amazing. Thank you!

Carter Clan said...

Thank you! Your kind gesture will help out those animals in need!

Post a Comment