6.14.2010

spice it up

by erin

Wedding season is officially upon us!  You're likely attending at least one wedding in the coming months, and if you're like me, you don't like to give cash or gift cards (although if you prefer giving those, I can tell you from experience that they are much appreciated).  I like to search through the bride and groom's registry and find a creative gift that represents my relationship with them.  Sometimes, however, that perfect gift just isn't on the registry, and while, in general, I strongly discourage purchases off the registry (for the love of God, include a gift receipt!), for these delicious gift boxes, I may have to make an exception to that rule.

With over 250 spices and seasonings, Penzey's Spices is a must-see for cooks of any skill level.  However, when you're starting from scratch (ha, get it?) with your spice collection, all those options can be slightly overwhelming.  Enter Penzey's gift boxes.  They have a huge selection of four- and eight-jar boxes and gift crates, with prices ranging from $11.95 to over $200.  Something for everyone!
 
Here are a few that I think make perfect wedding gifts.

Includes four seasoning mixes perfect for pasta and veggies, meat on the grill, and even for Bloody Marys!

Like the Spicy Wedding Shower, comes nestled in big, beautiful bay leaves.

We received this box as a wedding gift, and it was one of our favorites.  The pepper mill and salt shaker are gorgeously simple, and like the two spicy wedding boxes above, it comes with traditional wedding charms, which is a lovely touch.

Herb 8 Jar, $28.49
One of Penzey's most popular gifts.

Perfect for the bride who loves to bake.  She'll never go back to grocery store vanilla extract after using this Double Strength Madagascar Pure Vanilla Extract!

This one is on the pricier side, but it has everything the newlyweds will need to keep their marriage - or at least their kitchen - appropriately spicy.


What's your favorite unique wedding gift, either that you've given or received?

6 comments:

Jenna said...

Totally agree, this is the perfect gift! Awesome post.

Anonymous said...

Great idea Erin! I actually got the Wedding Gift Crate for our wedding last year and it was one of my favorite gifts, hands down. The bejewled owl toothpick holder that accompanied it, not so much...

-Blombessie :)

Kate said...

I once gave a pizza lovin' bride I knew a pizza stone, wooden pizza shovel, pizza cutter and dough kit for her shower. Also tossed in an apron. (All off her registry!) Went to the local pizzeria and got a party-pizza length box & bag for the gift wrapping (free!). It was a hit!

The spice boxes above are a lovely idea. However, I must say - as a "true newlywed" -- i.e., one who was 22, fresh out of college, and did NOT cohabit before marriage, I would have cringed at writing that particular thank-you note. Personally, I would reserve those for shower gifts unless I was assured that the newlyweds were fixed on things like sheets, towels, furniture and a house fund. If they are cohabiting, or have already bought a house or have been living on their own for awhile, these are fantastic added touches to any kitchen.

A unique gift is wonderful, but the couple's individual situation should definitely be taken into consideration above the guest's gift-giving preferences. Especially when the bride may not have a stock pot in which to simmer those savory spices. (Can you tell I'm in the check-writing and gift card-giving crowd?)

Jessica said...

My bff got us a pack of delicious spices from Penzey's as a shower gift. We loved it as we love to cook!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I love spices. :)

holly in heels said...

Ooo, super cute! I think any home decor item we received is my fave--reminds me of the person more than a blender does :)
xoxo,
http://www.hollyinheels.com
P.S. enter the fun giveaway on my site right now!

Post a Comment