3.13.2010

perfect weekend pumpkin bread

by erin

One of my most treasured wedding gifts was a shower gift from my grandma.  She hand-wrote her tried-and-true recipes on note cards, including some passed down from earlier generations, and organized them in a recipe box for me.  As someone who doesn't know too much about her heritage and ancestry, it was a very special and touching gift and one that I will definitely pass down some day.

This morning was gray and rainy, and I was in the mood to bake. I dug through the box and came across Grandma's pumpkin bread recipe.  I've had a can of pumpkin in my pantry for some time so this was perfect for today (I was especially drawn to the recipe because it doesn't call for butter!).  In case you feel like baking today too, here is her recipe:

Grandma Georgia's Pumpkin Bread
I halved the recipe because it would have made three loaves of bread, which I certainly don't need sitting around my house.  This is the full recipe, so you can make as much or as little as you want!
  • 3 c. sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 c. oil
  • 2 c. pumpkin
  • 3 1/2 c. flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda 
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. cloves
  • 1 tsp. allspice
  • 2/3 c. water
  • 1 c. nuts or raisins or both (I like girl bread so I left these out)
  • 2 tsp. flaxseed meal (my addition to the recipe)
Beat together sugar, oil and eggs.  Add pumpkin and mix in other ingredients.  Pour into three well-greased loaf pans (I didn't grease my pans enough so make sure you do!) and bake for one hour at 350 degrees.
 
 

I think I used too large of a loaf pan, which is why mine looks so flat.  Next time I'll use a smaller pan.  After it cooled, I cut it into thick slices, microwaved a slice for 15 seconds, spread it with vegan butter, and it was delicious!

Enjoy!

1 comments:

Traycina said...

It sounds delightful :-) And I'm way jealous of your mixer.

Post a Comment