I tweeted yesterday about my foiled plan to make sweet potato hummus (namely, that I was out of chickpeas, which is a pretty major ingredient in hummus, FAIL) and a few interested parties asked for the recipe.  I've made this once before and it was so delicious.  I recommend it with homemade pita chips!

Sweet Potato Hummus
(an Oprah.com superfood recipe!)

  • 1 medium sweet potato
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for drizzling)
  • pepper to taste
  • hot sauce (I used sriracha) to taste
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Wash the sweet potato, and poke it several times with a fork.  Bake it for about 45 minutes - until there is juice bubbling up from the fork holes.  Cool, then scoop out insides and discard the peel.

Process chickpeas, salt, and the sweet potato into a food processor.  While processor is running, add olive oil until hummus is smooth.  Add garlic near the end - the more you process garlic, the garlic-ier it becomes, so it could be pretty intense if you process it from the beginning.  If you are a big garlic fan, though, throw it in right away!
Note: this will turn out pretty smooth if you use all the olive oil.  If you want a chunkier, more hummus-like texture, process less and/or add less olive oil.
Transfer to a serving bowl, sprinkle with pepper, drizzle with hot sauce and olive oil, and serve!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, ma'am :)

JBF said...

this sounds awesome....and I recently stocked up on pita chips so I think I should be set.

Jessica said...

YUM! I've never made home-made hummus and I'm a huge hummus fan. This will be a great party food! Thanks!

Post a Comment