I'm historically terrible at communication. I hate talking on the phone, I'm bad at responding to email, and I miss texts. As a result, I often find myself going a long time without talking to people I love and miss. So I have to find another way to stay connected, and for me, food is the best way to do so. Cooking a recipe I got from someone I miss or eating something we used to eat together somehow makes me feel like they never left. Such is the case with this soup.

I am the middle daughter of three girls, and I love my sisters dearly. Unfortunately, both of them have fled chilly Minnesota for Austin, Texas, and now I only get to see them a few times a year, which, in a word, sucks.

there was no way I could choose just one, so both Kate and Alison were my maids of honor.

Several years ago, my big sis Kate gave me this simple and delicious recipe for spinach minestrone. Since then, it has been one of my favorites. And now that she's not here, I make it whenever I miss her. Which is a lot.

Kate's Famous Spinach Minestrone
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium carrots, sliced
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1 zucchini, chopped
1/4 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup elbow macaroni or whole wheat pasta of your choice
1/2 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 10 oz box of frozen chopped spinach, thawed
grated parmesan cheese

Cook the onion, garlic and carrot in olive oil until they begin to soften. Add everything except the spinach and cheese. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the veggies are cooked. Stir in spinach and bring to a boil again. When spinach is heated through, remove from heat.

Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, serve and enjoy!

2 comments:

Leah said...

do you think this could be adapted to use fresh spinach? (and if so, how?) i have a ton in the fridge that's about to go bad.

erin said...

I'm sure it can - I would maybe try tossing it in with the onion, garlic & carrot after they've been cooking for a few minutes and then sauteing it until it cooks down a bit. Then add everything else. But it might just come down to trial and error :)

Post a Comment