4.11.2010

The Black Dog

by erin

I guess the old saying is true: you really don't know what you've got till it's gone.  When Ryan and I lived in Lowertown, we were both in school, and so we never had the time or money to really explore our neighborhood.  It's too bad, because Lowertown is awesome, and every time I go back, I wish we still lived there.  It's grown, too, since we left - now there's Bulldog, Barrio, and talk of moving the Saints stadium to the area.  But at the top of my "why didn't I spend every minute there when I could walk to it" list is the Black Dog Coffee and Wine Bar.

 
The Black Dog is in a prime Lowertown location - a couple of blocks off Mears Park and kitty-corner from the Farmer's Market.  They offer a fresh menu that will please vegetarians and meat-eaters alike, locally-roasted coffee, and delicious baked goods.  With plenty of tables and big sun-filled windows, it's a perfect place to spend an afternoon working, reading the newspaper, or enjoying the free wi-fi.


The Black Dog also has a great night scene, starting with happy hour from 4 to 7 pm every day of the week.  They also have live music and other events, wine and beer specials, and a big patio. 

 
Personally, I like to go to the Black Dog for coffee and brunch after a morning spent walking through Mears Park or wandering the Farmer's Market.  Oh, lovely Lowertown.  How I miss you.

2 comments:

JBF said...

I totally agree - Lowertown is awesome! Gabe has worked in the neighborhood for the last 18 months and i am always SO jealous of his lunch and happy hour choices.

Anonymous said...

Ah, you didn't miss all that much at the time, but I have to say it has been great to see all that has happened in that area. DTSt.P was snoozy as heck before!

Post a Comment